Information We Collect
We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, through the Service’s technologies, and from third party sources. This can include collecting your data from registration forms, badge/business card scanners, email sign ups and other event related apps.
Data You Provide to Us
- The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on how you interact with us and the Service and includes:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, social media handle, mailing address and phone number
- Other account or event registration and profile information, such as educational and professional background and photo, and for events dietary and accessibility requirements
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number
- Comments, feedback and other information you provide to us, including search query data and questions or information you send to us
Data from Service, Apps and Website Use
The Service automatically collects information about how you and your device interact with the Service, including:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, mobile platform and unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data
- Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp, and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service
- For location-aware Services, the region, city or town where your device is located in order to provide you with more relevant content for where you are in the world.
Data from Other Sources
We also may obtain personal information about you from other third parties, including:
- Social networks when you grant permission to access your data on one or more networks
- Our service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize the Service to your location
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities or event sponsorship and hosting
- Publicly available sources and data suppliers from which we obtain data to validate or supplement the information we hold.
How We Use Your Information
Depending on how you interact with us and the Service and your preferences, we use your personal information to:
- Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the Service
- Process and fulfil a request, order, download, subscription, or other transaction (including to process payments)
- Provide technical, product and other support and to help keep the Service working, safe and secure
- Enhance and improve the Service and our other products and services and to develop new products, services and benefits
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more relevant to your interests and geography
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments, and concerns
- Notify you about changes, updates or other announcements related to the Service and our other products and services
- Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, notices, and other information related to the Service, your interests and other products, events and services
- For events: to include your professional details on delegate booklets, badges, passes, place cards, guest lists, seating charts, networking portals, and where applicable for speaker and panel presenter listings
- Invite you to participate in user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for purposes of research, audit, reporting and other business operations, including determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and evaluating our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Sharing of your Information
It is our policy not to share the personal information we collect from you through our Services with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Emergent Order Foundation, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Site
- to enforce or apply this Policy, our Terms of Service, or our other policies or agreements; and in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, reorganization, acquisition, asset sale, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of Emergent Order Foundation.
We are not responsible for the actions of any service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
Online petitions: When you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to state or local leaders, or to the press.
We also disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues
- protect the rights, property or safety of Emergent Order Foundation, our users, employees and others
Your Communications Preferences
You can customize and manage your communications preferences and your contact details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
Accessing and Updating your Information
The Service allows users to review their account information by an email request to email@example.com to make corrections or updates. Keeping such information up to date is solely the responsibility of the user.
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfill the transactions you have requested, and for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, and enforcing our agreements.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 or target the Service to children under 13.
We use a variety of administrative, physical and technical security measures to help safeguard your personal information.
Locations of Processing
Your personal information may be stored and processed in your region or another country where the Washington Policy Center and our service providers maintain servers and facilities, including Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States. We take steps, including through our contracts, to ensure that the information continues to be protected wherever it is located in a manner consistent with the standards of protection required under applicable law.Where personal information is transferred from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland to a country that has not received an adequacy decision by the European Commission, we rely on appropriate safeguards, such as the European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses and the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks, to transfer the data.
Grounds for Processing
When we collect from you any personal information within the scope of European data protection laws, we do so (a) with your consent; (b) where necessary to provide the Service, fulfill a transaction or otherwise perform a contract with you or at your request prior to entering into a contract; (c) where necessary for our compliance with a legal obligation; (d) where necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest; and/or (e) as necessary to fulfill our legitimate interests as described below, except where our interests are overridden by your privacy rights. Where we rely on your consent to process personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object.Our legitimate interests are: to deliver our products to our customers and their end users; to detect or prevent fraud; to protect the security of our systems, customers and users; to further develop our products; to conduct direct marketing; to operate our business (by processing payments/invoices and conduct credit checks on customers, suppliers and leads, perform sales and customer relations management, supplier management, as well as incidental processing in our back office for these purposes); to enable our customers to comply with legal obligations; to provide customer service or support; or fulfil our other legitimate interests as described above.
You have the right under European and certain other privacy and data protection laws to request free of charge:
- access to and correction or deletion of your personal information
- that we cease or limit our processing of your personal information
- a copy of your personal information (right to data portability)
- to object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at the address set out below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity.
How to complain: We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information but you may also lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in the applicable jurisdiction.
Last updated: 02/04/2022